Monday 3 August 2009

No one likes us, we don't care.

Crikey, really ought to update this blog, especially as I seem to have gained a follower!

Trouble is, I haven't exactly been up to much, now that I've finished moving house, done all the unpacking etc, I am now just twiddling my thumbs waiting for med school to start. Ahem, of course what I mean to say is that I'm working my way through my reading list in preparation. Honestly :)

So, the topic for today (as I have no student antics to report on yet) is people's reactions to hearing that I am going off to med school. I have to admit, on the whole the reactions have been pretty disappointing. Obviously my Mum is over the moon, practically stopping strangers in the street to tell them the happy news!! Also, my very good mates have been happy too, although lots of them have been in on the whole process and know how much of struggle the whole thing has been. The rest of my friends and family have been... shall I say lukewarm? And then there's my former workmates who have ranged from unimpressed to downright hostile, with some of them accusing me (not to my face) of making the whole thing up!

It seems I am not alone in receiving this peculiar response - chatting to other new med students online, I have found that many have the same or worse situation. One person said their family were totally negative, criticising how much it was going to cost and saying that they would not provide any support. Other people have lost best friends and/or partners over it. That is terribly sad, as applying to and getting through medical school is really tough, so you need all the support (not just financial) you can get.

So, my sage advice to anyone reading this is that if you go through this process, you will really find out who your friends are! But even better, you can look forward to making lots of new ones when med school starts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment